Military Transition Workshop – Offered in Partnership with SAME (Society of American Military Engineers)
Tuesday, July 16
1:15pm – 4:45pm
FEE: Complimentary to Active Military
APPA’s Military Transition Workshop will connect transitioning military with former military personnel with successful careers in educational facilities. The workshop is designed for the full spectrum of military engineering and facility professionals to share their career stories, identify opportunities, and answer transitioning military questions on the many rewarding career paths available. Table discussion organized in geographical areas will provide opportunities for military and educational facilities colleagues to interact in the regions the military want to transition to.
Questions like these will be answered during this session:
– Where do I find jobs?
– When should I start applying?
– Can you help me understand Educational Facilities?
– What are typical organizational structures for educational facilities?
– What is a CFO and other translations?
– What are some of the similarities and differences between educational facilities and the military?
– What can I expect to experience during my job search?
– How do I tell my story and share my experience so that I am understood?
– Is there a way for me to connect to former military personnel for help?
Session facilitators will explore the following:
– Understanding the business of higher education, and the “institutional mission” of colleges and universities;
– Learning the critical role and mission of educational facilities professionals in supporting student learning, research, and meeting the objectives and goals of colleges and universities;
– Hearing successful ex-military personnel share their journey from serving their country to serving the mission of education;
– Gain from networking opportunities and learn about openings in the educational facilities field, and available career search resources, and more.
ASHRAE’s Fundamentals of HVAC Design and Operations
July 14 – 16, 2019
8:00am – 4:30pm (Daily)
NOTE: Participants will be offered breakfast, lunch, access to APPA 2019 Annual Meeting programming as follows:
– APPA 2019 Welcome Party
– APPA’s Hall of Resources on July 15th & July 16th
This course is AIA and GBCI approved for 18 hours.
APPA is proud to partner with ASHRAE to offer training that provides participants with instruction that accelerates their transformation into effective members of a design, construction, operations or facilities maintenance team. Developed by industry-leading professionals selected by ASHRAE, the training provides attendees with the fundamentals and technical aspects of HVAC design. Attendees will gain practical skills and knowledge to design and maintain HVAC systems that can be put to immediate use.
Programming content will benefit the following members of your organization:
– Facilities managers responsible for managing building operations staff;
– Facilities managers involved in new construction or major renovation projects;
– Technicians or front line supervisors who would like to gain design knowledge;
– Architects who want to understand fundamental HVAC system design
Your Institution Will Benefit From Engaging as Training Helps Attendees Understand:
– How to improve overall building performance;
– The technologies that lead to improved building performance;
– The economics of sustainable buildings and the roles of the designer and facilities manager;
– The basic skills needed to design and/or operate high-performance buildings;
– The skill set that will be required by designers and operators of the future;
– Techniques to interact effectively with all design partners (architects, owners, other engineering disciplines) in an integrated design team.